January 11, 2016

Nice Vacation, Now Back to the Cold Grind

Had a nice two and a half week vacation visiting my daughter in Bangkok, with three days in Bali. It was hot, and I was loving it.
Did one treadmill run in Bali, and was so motivated I went 10 minutes past my usual treadmill limit of 30. You would not run on a road in Bali - they're narrow and full of scooters blasting along at high speeds. Even the roads way out in the countryside are far too dangerous.

And did eight runs in Bangkok. Mostly 10 or 12k at a moderate pace, but did two tempo runs and a 5k time trial in which I managed 22:00 in 33-degree heat.

A highlight was running with Marty Lever in Chatuchak and two other adjacent parks, all of which are beautiful. We had a very nice 11k run followed by coconut water right out of the coconut and beer - right out of the bottle! I recommend Hemingway's to anyone going to Bangkok.
And check out Marty's Habitat photos of the parks' wildlife at http://mlever.co.uk

My daughter will probably be leaving there in 6 or 8 months - I hope to go there once more, but we'll see.

So...back in cold Tokyo, although the weather has been relatively mild. (Supposed to get colder next week.)
Did 62km the past week (Monday in Bangkok), ending with an 18k run on Sunday, which is the longest I've done in a very long time. Want to get up to 80k a week for the next 2 or 3 months so I can run a decent half marathon.

Oh, and Happy New Year.

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year Bob. Can't beat an icy cold beer right out of the bottle (especially when it's 30C at 9am).

    ReplyDelete